is sitting on my lap bundled in blankets and licking my fingers as I type. She is suffering, a bout of pancreatitis brought on by her eating a half a piece of banana bread that I baked as a donation to my youngest daughter's "Bakesale for Japan Red Cross" this past weekend. My roomie had left his slice on the coffee table and went to the kitchen (ten yards away) to make coffee; by the time he got back, the puppy had eaten it like it was her last meal.
So she spent 36 hours vomiting and I finally took her to an Emergency Clinic. My daughter was to leave for college on a 11:55 am flight. The options were to hospitalize the puppy here; to fix her up to travel by injecting saline and a pain reliever/anti nausea med where in Arizona my daughter would have to hospitalize her, or give the same treatment to her here and I would take her home and attempt to nurse her. Given that 24 hour hospitalization costs a MINIMUM of 2500.00 we chose plan C. 300.00 dollars later, she is home with me where she is stabilizing. She is still very ill but has stopped vomiting and even peed and pooped today. But it is like having an infant again; she is very needy and its hard to see a helpless animal feeling so miserable.
So I will fly her back to Arizona later when she is feeling better. It will probably involve another 200.00 plus in vet bills, plus the cost of flying her crate. This is at a time when I question my ability to keep my mortgage paid. My roomie/former bf does not like the dog or my daughter, and he wonders why I allow myself to be "suckered" into this.
There is no question. I am the one to take care of this puppy. Who knows if my daughter appreciates me, the time I put into her puppy (who I advised her NOT to get at this time in her life.) Am I being used? Perhaps, but you know, I am glad the puppy (her name is Milli) did not get on that flight; my daughter has neither the time nor skills to nurse her. I do. Milli got sick because she hate some people food that was too high in fat.
I just pray that some of this positive life energy will have its karmic affects on earth. :)