Painting my oldest daughter's bedroom. I had just finished a book written by my friend Pete Biedler, a retired emeritus professor from LeHigh University in Pennsylvania. It is called "Self-Reliance, Inc" about a college professor who designs an English department-based experimental course in 1976. He has been advising and critiqueing my work, and I learned alot from reading his writing. As a retired teacher of English Lit, he has a very unassuming manner, a dry wit, sparkling humor and Parkinson's Disease. A true mentor, he makes me think in ways I rarely let myself think.
LIke my anxiety, my depression is always with me. I just figure it's about my PD. Pete refuses to let self-pity be a part of my writing, and I find myself checking in with myself periodically now: How am I feeling at this very minute? What do I need to do to make myself better? Have I eaten? Had enough to eat? I find that most of the time, I can answer, I'm ok, and this is gratifying.
It's so much easier to live in the moment without worrying about the future or grieving the past.
By the way...the colors are lavendar and dark purple (one wall).
No comments:
Post a Comment