I took up knitting again, as frustrating as it has been. After seeing "Black Swan" with my oldest a few weeks ago before she went back to Arizona, I have been trying to recreate the look that Natalie Portman has in a scene going to work in NY. Here it is:

As my favorite high school algebra teacher used to say, "Close, but no cigar." I cannot decide if it looks like roadkill in a shi-shi neighborhood or a white swan. But the process was interesting, in that I had incorporated all of my errors instead of trying to hide them. This was a very liberating experience for me, but it would have been even better if I could have worn the end result. So I will probably put this in my knitting trunk, and start over. The great thing about making your own fabric is that you can play around with it to get the look you want. So I will try again, using much finer yarn, and I now believe the original is a shawl shape, so I will research an easy to knit lace patterned shawl, and add fringe.
For those of you non-knitters, this post might seem dull. However, underlying all of this is the theme of rebirth, recreation of life that can happen if you allow it. The Katy Perry song has a line that goes something like, "maybe all those doors closing were a sign that you havent found the right one yet," and if I squint hard enough, perhaps I can see this White Swan Scarf as a metaphor for my life. Something like, "liberate yourself by getting out of your own way."
I am still awaiting to hear if my disability has been approved, and will be stretched until then. But there is hope on the horizon...in my new life to come, waiting for my creation.
No comments:
Post a Comment