Thursday, February 10, 2011

Got out my Bike

...and rode around the block today.  Got my heart pumping a bit.  I am on the list for a "forced exercise" spinning class starting in April.  A local hospital is replicating a Cleveland Clinic study that showed a 35% improvement in Parkinson's symptoms in a program involving stationary tandems with captains setting a fairly rapid pace (80-90RPM) and the stokers, PWP following.  It is a 8 week, three mornings a week commitment and was not possible when I was working.  So I am delighted to be a part of it.

The coordinator says that, while the patients have not noticed an improvement in symptoms, she herself has noticed a positive change in strength, confidence, mood, and posture.  She feels that it has made a real difference in most lives.  Some of my friends who have been involved in previous trials agree. 

I read a study today that suggested that the ability to ride a bike could be used as  a predictor for the kind of PD that advances quickly (I think it involves Lewy body deposits in the brain) or not.  So I was happy to see I could still bike, just fine! 

Now, to increase the mileage.  But then I'd have to wear those gawd-awful bike shorts :P

No comments:

Post a Comment