I am part of a huge, vital community here in Seattle of people with Parkinson's Disease and those who love and support us. I have been fortunate to have been involved in a three times a week, eight week spin cycling class for PWP at a nearby hospital. This has been going on for a full year now, with four volunteer stokers and four people with PD as stokers on stationery tandems. This class was a direct result of a study done at the Cleveland Clinic that found that PWP's symptoms diminished 35% as a result of the cycling, done at a high cadence (RPM) of 70-90.
I can say I am feeling better overall. The class was followed up by a free 8 week membership to the local YMCA where the spin class continues and is open to all in the community.
We all met last night (coordinators, captains, stokers, significant others) to celebrate and enjoy each other's company at a New Orleans jazz club restaurant. I took photos and as soon as I can figure out how to upload them from my new phone, I will do so.
It is apparent to me that the goodwill around this program is in part driven by the love people with PD seem to inspire in others. My captains, all volunteers, showed up to ride with me because they wanted to make a difference in the world, but kept coming because they turned out to get as much from me as they thought they were making. I felt loved and supported and strong because I was able to inspire them as well. There were more than a few tears shed last night. I find it true that us with PD seem to be very close to our feelings, whether they be sadness, disappointment, anxiety, or anger. This keeps us very honest and the people who care for and about us very clear too. The lessons we all take from this experience extend into the rest of our lives: I have more ability to dig deep and go for the long haul than I ever dreamed. That I am an inspiration to others no matter what disease I may have. That I can make a difference even with PD, and perhaps the reason I have this is to teach others.
I just have to open up and see all the possibilities and good that I am.